My sweet aunt is recovering from surgery and can finally eat more than Jell-O and broth. Two weeks of bland food is torture! Coop to the rescue! I wanted to make something easy to eat, but packed with feel good flavor. This broccoli and cheese soup is it! Don’t you hate when you buy soup to go from a restaurant and it thins as it cools? Not this stuff! It’s thicker than a Snicker! Look!
And I haven’t even told you the best part yet. I made it in under 20 minutes. I know, right?!? AND, I just used 2% milk. No half and half. Not needed, boo! Just try my recipe. Don’t doubt me.
- 1 diced onion
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 cups of roughly chopped broccoli florets (thaw if frozen)
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon roasted chicken flavor
- 1 1/2 cup of milk (I used 2%)
- 1 cup of American cheese
- 1/2 cup of Fontina cheese
- 1 tablespoon each of onion and garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of Accent
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter
- Add onions and broccoli
- Season lightly with salt
- Saute until broccoli is tender
- Sprinkle in flour
- Stir until flour is no longer visible
- Pour in water, Better Than Bouillon, and milk
- Bring to simmer
- Add in spices
- Stir until it thickens
- Add in cheeses
- Stir until cheese melts
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary
- Turn on low and allow to simmer, uncovered, for 6 mins.
- Serve with crackers or crusty bread.
- You can also add julienned carrots. Add more milk for a thinner consistency.