So, Louisiana finally decided to have a winter! YAAAAAAY!!! Chile, I had to hurry up and make my soup for you before Summer returns next week. Seriously, we were wearing flip flops for Christmas. I can’t express how excited I am to make this Loaded Potato Soup for my Cookies! AND, since January is National Slow Cooking Month, I’m gonna do it in my slow cooker!
I’m challenging myself to give you guys slow cooker recipes this whole month! Yes, babies!! I’ve gotten your emails and messages for more “Crock pot recipes”. You know, I gotcha!
You can definitely use this recipe and make the soup on the stove for a shorter cooking time. Just make the roux, add in the liquids and potatoes, simmer for 25-30 mins, throw on some toppings, and ya done! This recipe is just plain simple. And the taste….lawwwwwd! Just make it and see for yourself.
- 4 cups (peeled and diced) potatoes
- 5 slices of bacon (chopped)
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cups milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 T bacon grease
- 2 T butter
- 1 tsp each onion and garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- bacon crumbles
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- green onions or chives
- Add potatoes, onions, broth, and spices to the slow cooker
- Stir well
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hrs or on high for 4 hrs
- Fry bacon, remove, and put aside for garnish.
- Drain grease reserving about 1 T in pan
- Add butter and melt
- Whisk in flour
- Pour in milk and whisk to prevent clumping
- Heat until mixture begins to thicken
- Pour mixture into slow cooker and stir well
- Cover and cook on high for 20-30 mins
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary
- Add in 1 cup of cheese
- Stir and serves with toppings of choice